Saturday, April 12, 2008

5 Weeks Left

So here we are, still in Mexico. It is hard to believe that we have just finished 11 weeks of studying in Mexico and living in Spanish, and let me tell you it has not been easy. I would like to say that I have loved Mexico with all that I am and never missed home, but alas, it has not been so. I had a hard week these past 2 weeks dealing with homesickness and who knows why. Probably because we had just gotten back from vacation and had to jump right back into classes. But to overcome this homesickness I decided to write down something good that I discovered about Mexico for every day. I started off with making a list of everything good I could think of Mexico, and I do not have the list with me, but I am going to try to say a few.
1. Panaderias- bakeries with very cheap pan dulce ( muffins, donuts, and all other sorts of treats)
2. School House- the school I am helping out at every Tuesday and Thursday, I have gotten to know some of the students and its lots of fun
3. My family- I get along with them so well, and although they are not my mom and dad, I know have parents in 2 countries
4. Panuchos- a yucatan delicacy!
5. Mercados- markets where I have spent tooo much money
6. Music- humorous to say the least at times
7. Telenovelas- my current favorite is Tengo todo excepto a ti ( I have everything except you!) Oh my goodness everything is about to blow up, affairs are being found out, illegitimate children, oye!
8. Wireless in Burger King- we don't go to coffee shops for the internet, we go to Burger King
9. Plazas- every city has its own plaza and there are always people there, or something going on
10. Universal and Axn- my two favorite television channels so I can watch lost and CSI
11. Drake and Josh- a show on Nick that my brothers love ( i have never seen it in English, but its great in Spanish)
12. Ricardo Dogre- a student at schoolhouse, who makes me laugh every time I see him.
13. Carito- my cousin who I am getting know
14. Swimming with Sea Turtles- seriously where else are you going to do that in the middle of the ocean?
15. Hammocks- I finally figured out how to successfully sleep in a hammock, because it was too hot to sleep in my bed!
16. La Hoya- a great little cafe with waffles covered in Nutella! (only 3 dollars!)
17. Our group in Mexico-we have all gotten along great without many problems!

Well I know there was a lot more to that list, I think I made it to over 50 things but my mind is drawing a blank right now! Things continue to go well here in Mexico. I am very very very sick of classes and homework, but I think i would be the same way in the United States! Something exciting that just happened, well actually it happened today, My family opened a restaurant in our house. Well it is actually outside the house but it's called Benji's Burgers, We will see how it goes. Its a very small restaurant, but I think I will be eating Burgers for the next five weeks!

Although I am still homesick, I think i have put things back into perspective. I still have my bad days, but in reality I think I can survive five more weeks. Our weekends are full till we come home. I just have to keep homework in perspective and not get too stressed out, for that is when I tend to get very homesick!

I continue to thank you for your prayers and encouragement!

4 comments:

Gozo said...

I have Universal and AXN too! They're great channels. And telenovelas..a great way to learn more Spanish! Love ya sis and I'm praying for you!

Kristin Gort said...

Way to count your blessings!!!

Susie said...

Keep your head up, Jill! I remember being homesick when I was in Spain and then the week that we were going to leave, I didn't want to! I like your list! Wireless in BK? Excellent! Convince your padres to get it in Benji's Burgers!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that your list is so long! Drake and Josh in English is really cool, not like I would know... :-) I hope your wrapping up of the five weeks go wonderfully!!! :-)